This course provides in-depth knowledge, skills and understanding in the key concepts and practical skills required to progress onto Level 4 courses in games development or courses on a similar level, and/or work successfully in the interactive entertainment industry. You will be taught by industry specialist with a combined experience of over 30 years in the games industry.
You work on a series of individual and group assignments which cover subjects such as:
• Pre-production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
• Communication Skills for Creative Media Production
• Research Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
• Creative Media Production Management Project
Optional Units which may include
• Understanding the Computer Games Industry
• 2D Animation Production
• Marketing and Public Relations
• Sound in Interactive Media
• Computer Games Engines
• 3D Modelling
• Flash for Computer Games
The qualifications awarded are the Edexcel National Diploma in Creative Media Production and an additonal skills qualifications in English, Maths or ICT.
• 5 or more GCSEs grades A*-C including English and maths and/or a completed Level 2 award (preferably in Media or Games Development , Computer Science / ICT)
• preferably a qualification in Physics (individually or part of Combined Sciences)
• an existing knowledge of programme code such as C++ would be well received.
• the willingness to study for an additional level 2 qualification in English and/or maths
• if you are interested in a level 3 programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider please contact us with your details.
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview and complete an internal assessment. All students will have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
The majority of students progress to courses in higher education at either degree or HND level. Many specialise in a particular field. Examples of possible careers are programming, coding, sound design, 3D modelling, animation or project management.
Employability can be enhanced if you consider an internship with a games development company but you are expected to provide them with a portfolio of achievements and your own work. So it is important that the course is starting your development, it isn’t the only effort you have to do.
Individual learning targets are set each term and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets. Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments, which are set at regular intervals throughout the course. All work for your Extended Diploma is assessed through coursework. Additional qualifications in areas such as English, Maths or ICT are assessed by an external exam.
This Extended Diploma has strong links to industry, reflected through guest speakers and outside clients. You have full access to our new media centre, which consists of a television studio, digital, video and sound editing equipment, a radio studio and computing facilities. You work with specialist tutors on live practical projects.
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.
16 to 18 EU tuition fee:£0.00
19+ EU tuition fee:£0.00
Please note – Fees may be subject to change