Summer art school at college
Join us this summer for our fun, hands-on art workshops, for adults and young people. Our friendly team of professional artists and practitioners are running workshops during the summer holidays across our campuses in Banbury, Oxford and Reading. All abilities will be catered for.
Courses for young people
(aged 12-16 unless otherwise specified)
- Summer art at college - Film - Available at Banbury and Oxford. Gain an insight into the different roles in film making: scriptwriting, directing, producing, cinematography and editing. A practical hands-on course on a professional set.
- Summer art at college - Photography - Available at Banbury. Experiment with film and digital photography to create amazing pictures. From making a mini-camera, to scratching and painting on photographs, and playing with Photoshop.
- Summer art at college - Games development - Available at Banbury or Oxford. Get an insight into becoming a game developer through some challenging and fun activities. You will learn how to build basic games using Photoshop and Maya.
- Summer art at college - Art, make do and mend - Available at Oxford. Do you have some old clothes that you absolutely love but can’t wear anymore? Would you like to learn how to turn these items into something else? Learn how to sew and upcycle fashion garments.
- Summer art at college - Video production (12-14 year olds) - Available at Reading.
- Summer art at college - Video production (14-16 year olds) - Available at Reading.
- Summer art at college - Airbrush and graffiti - Available at Reading. Learn the basics of airbrushing and create your first painting on a board to take home. Using non-toxic prays and pens, you will create a wicked piece of street art!
- Summer art at college - Clay animal modelling for children and grown-ups (For children aged 8+ accompanied by an adult) - Reading. Learn how to model clay animals, use pinch pots to make a money bank and decorate everything you make using coloured slips.
- Summer art at college - Art play for children and grown-ups (For children aged 8+ accompanied by an adult) - Oxford. Explore drawing, painting and collage, learning to express shape, colour and texture using new media!
Courses for adults
Most courses for adults last between three and five days. Hours vary. Please check individual course listings on our college websites for further information and to book your place.
- Summer art school drawing: Available at Reading. Find out more about drawing, from working with observation through to using your imagination. Exploring a broad variety of drawing materials, you will work through a series of activities to help you understand the drawing process.
- Summer art school printmaking. Available at Reading. Explore three different printmaking disciplines; mono and drypoint, lino cutting and photographic silkscreen.
- Summer art school: pottery and teapot. Available at Reading. Learn how to build your own teapot, throw your own mug on a potters wheel and decorate your work using slip.
- Summer art school: watercolour. Available at Reading. Explore the expressive potential of watercolours, how to interpret subjects and discover your own style. You will learn how to express yourself with tone and colour and create atmosphere.
- Associates artists printmaking
- Associate artists ceramics
- Still life oil painting
- Water colour painting: Learn about a wide range of watercolour techniques, including: flat washes, variegated washes, wet into wet, wet onto dry and a variety of texturing techniques.
- Summer Saturdays for adults: Painting and drawing from life: Learn how to draw from observation, how to create preparation drawings and how to use findings to inform painting. You will also learn about mixing and working with acrylic paints on stretched canvas.
- Pattern cutting for beginners: Learn the basic techniques for womenswear pattern cutting. You will create a standard size 12 skirt pattern using a basic skirt block followed by garment assembly.
Summer Saturdays for adults: Pattern cut and make your own skirt design: Learn the fundamentals of pattern cutting a skirt design.
You will explore how to create a pattern for your own skirt design.